Stained teeth are not appealing, but the commercial whitening products available can be expensive. The following idea will help you avoid that cost, and is also natural. All you need is a banana peel and a few extra ingredients.
Why It Works
These natural ingredients have some awesome properties that make them great for whitening teeth.
The first ingredient you should pay attention to is the banana peel. You will rub the inside of the banana peel on your teeth to whiten your teeth. This works because your teeth naturally absorb minerals to reinforce your enamel. And the inside of the banana peel contains minerals like potassium, magnesium, and manganese. These minerals should help whiten your teeth over time.
The recipe also calls for baking soda, which should also help whiten your teeth. Baking soda will help brighten your teeth because it is naturally abrasive. This should help lift some of the surface stains from your teeth. You should also know that baking soda is amphoteric, which helps neutralize some of the bacteria that can lead to plaque.
You will also use a little juice from a strawberry. The strawberry is important because it contains malic acid. Malic acid helps dissolve the biofilm that bacteria create to stick to your teeth. This should help remove even more surface stains from your teeth.
Remember that these ingredients are only meant to remove surface stains from your teeth. Stubborn stains could mean the stain has penetrated your enamel. Stains that are under your enamel can only be removed by your cosmetic dentist, like those at Delta Oaks Dental Care.
Natural Banana and Strawberry Whitening Rub
You will need the following:
- Thumb-wide banana peel
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- Fresh and mashed strawberries
Follow the steps below to whiten your teeth:
- Break of a piece of banana peel off that is as wide as your thumb with the inside facing up.
- Add the mashed strawberry over your peel.
- Sprinkle the baking soda evenly over the banana peel.
- Rub the inside of your peel over your teeth until they are completely coated.
- Leave the residue on your teeth for a few minutes, and then simply rinse off. You can use your toothbrush to make sure you remove all of the residue. Or just thoroughly rinse your mouth out when you are done.
As you can see, whitening your teeth can be done cheaply and with natural ingredients, which is a great alternative to pricier remedies.